Week 5: Pocahontas 1595 – 1617 A.D.
WATCH: K – 3: Animated Hero Classics: Pocahontas by Nest Entertainment OR READ: The True Story of Pocahontas by Lucille Penner
4 – 6: Pocahontas: The True Story of the Powhatan Princess by Catherine Iannone
- When and where did Pocahontas first meet English settlers? (in Jamestown when she was 12)
- Why was Pocahontas such an important figure? (Her father was chief Powhatan, most powerful figure in the area)
- Why was John Smith’s life spared? (Pocahontas threw herself upon him just before he was to be killed.)
- What was the English settlers’ relationship with the Indians like after Pocahontas saved John Smith? (Powhatan sent the settlers food.)
- John Smith promised to send the Indians weapons. Did he? (no)
K – 3: Coloring Page of Pocahontas and her father: http://www.daycoloringpages.com/2013/06/picture-activity-pocahontas-coloring-pages/pocahontas-and-kocoum-coloring-pages-picture-4/ OR choose a coloring/activity page from this Nest Entertainment coloring book by clicking here: http://www.dscl.org/kids/Pocahontas.pdf
4 – 6: Why do you think Pocahontas liked the colonists at age 12? Why do you think she liked them as an adult? Write a paragraph for each question.
7 – 8: Write a poem about Pocahontas OR Write an essay on the following topic: Was Pocahontas a peacemaker or a spoiled brat?
Copyright September 8, 2012 by Gwen Fredette