Week 6: Champlain 1605 A.D.
READ: K – 4: Samuel de Champlain by Elizabeth MacLeod
5 – 6: Samuel de Champlain by Liz Sonneborn
7 – 8: Samuel de Champlain: Explorer of the Great Lakes Region and Founder of Quebec by Joseph Sherman
These images were obtained from Amazon.com. No legal image is available for Samuel de Champlain: Explorer of the Great Lakes Region and Founder of Quebec.
- Where was Champlain born? (France)
- What were some of Champlain’s skills? (mapmaker, writer, soldier, explorer, trader)
- What business did he start with the Indians? (fur trade)
- Describe his relationship with the Indians? (They got along well; he learned from their ways, travelled with them, fought with them, learned their language)
- Which Indian tribe did he maintain a friendship with? (the Huron)
- What famous city did he start in Canada? (Quebec)
- Which Indian tribe did he fight against? (the Iroquois) Why? (They were enemies of the Huron)
K – 3: Coloring Page of Samuel de Champlain. Click HERE: to get a picture from lecoeurduquartier.files.
4 – 6: Samuel de Champlain worksheet. Click HERE: This worksheet is from teachervision.
7 – 8: Samuel de Champlain wanted to find a water route across the continent. Why would this be helpful to fur traders in particular and Europe in general? Write a 5 paragraph, three proof essay. (This essay question idea came from the “critical thinking” section on eduplace.com Here is the link to THIS WEBSITE)
Copyright September 15, 2012 by Gwen Fredette