Week 7: Pilgrims & The First Thanksgiving (1621 A.D.)
READ: K – 3: The First Thanksgiving by Linda Hayward
4 – 6: Squanto and the first Thanksgiving by Joyce Kessel
7 – 8: Squanto: Friend of the Pilgrims by Clyde Robert Bulla
- Why did the Pilgrims leave England? (they wanted religious freedom)
- What was the name of the ship they sailed on? (Mayflower)
- Why did so many Pilgrims die? (harsh, cold winter, not enough food)
- Why were the Pilgrims so afraid of the Indians at first? (they were few in number, afraid Indians would attack them)
- Which Indian came to help them? (Squanto)
DISCUSS GRADES 4 – 8:
- How did Squanto know English? (Had been captured and taken to England as a slave)
- Who was Massasoit? (Indian chief)
- Why did they sign a peace treaty? (both groups were small; promised to help each other)
- How did Squanto help the Pilgrims? (taught them how to plant and find food)
- Why did they have the feast? (to celebrate the harvest)
- When did Thanksgiving become an official holiday? (in 1863 when Abraham Lincoln was president)
K – 3: Coloring Page of first Thanksgiving from crayola.com. Click HERE.
4 – 6: Thanksgiving Crossword worksheet from abcteach.com. Click HERE.
7 – 8: Squanto did not really belong to the Indian tribe of Massasoit and he did not really belong to the Pilgrims. How do you think he felt? If you were him, where would you prefer to live? Why do you think he chose to spend more time with the Pilgrims? Write a 1 page commentary on these questions.
Copyright September 23, 2012 by Gwen Fredette
P.S. Do you like having pictures of the books on this site? Please let me know in the comments section of this blog. Thanks!