Week 10: William Penn: Founder of Pennsylvania (1682)
READ: K – 2: William Penn: A Life of Tolerance by Jennifer Boothroyd
3 – 4: The Story of William Penn by Aliki
5 – 8: William Penn: Founder of Democracy by Arthur Schlesinger and by Norma Jean Lutz OR William Penn: Founder of Pennsylvania by Ronald Syme
These images were obtained from Amazon.com. No legal book images are available for William Penn: Founder of Democracy by Arthur Schlesinger and by Norma Jean Lutz or William Penn: Founder of Pennsylvania by Ronald Syme.
- Describe Penn’s life as a child? (Enjoyed studying; father was an admiral, wealthy family)
- Why did Penn become a Quaker? (believed people should worship as they choose, wanted to have a true relationship with God, believed in peace, helping others)
- How did Penn’s father feel about his religious conversion? (furious)
- What did Penn study at school? (law)
- Why was Penn imprisoned a number of times? (Quaker beliefs)
- How did Penn acquire the land of PA? (king owed his father a large sum of money, gave William land in America to cover the debt.)
- What did William Penn want the land for? (the Quakers)
- Why was the colony named Pennsylvania? (after the king’s friend and William’s father, “Sylvania” means “woods”, so the name means: Penn’s Woods)
- What was the original capital city of Pennsylvania? (Philadelphia)
- Who named it and why? (Penn named in Philadelphia because the name means “city of brotherly love”)
- Who designed the city of Philadelphia? (Penn)
- Why was his design important? (It was later followed by others in designing American towns)
- Describe Penn’s feelings about the Native Americans? (wanted them to be treated fairly; always tried to be kind to them; he learned to speak their language)
- Why was Penn’s plan of government so important? (His plan was a government for the people, by the people. It later became the framework for our national government.)
ACTIVITIES: K – 3: Coloring page of William Penn from resources for history teachers. Click HERE.
4 – 6: Write an essay: Compare and contrast the colony of Pennsylvania with the Virgina colony. Write at least 2 paragraphs.
7 – 8: Write an essay: Compare and contrast the colony of Pennsylvania with the Virginia colony. Write at least one page.
Copyright October 14, 2012 by Gwen Fredette