Week 13: The Pyramids
READ: K – 5: Spend the Day in Ancient Egypt (Chp 2) by Linda Honan
6 – 8: Pyramids of Egypt by Don Nardo
- Why were the pyramids built? (tombs for kings)
- What pyramid is considered to be one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world? (Great Pyramid at Giza)
- What were the pyramids built from? (stone)
- How were the pyramids built? (ramps, sleds, rollers)
- What was the capstone? (stone at the top of the pyramid – shaped like a pyramid and covered with gold)
- Where were the pyramids built? (in the desert)
- Originally the pyramids were filled with many of the Pharoah’s belongings. Why aren’t they now? (tombs raided by thieves)
K – 2: Using your book’s instructions on pg 22, make your own pyramid.
3 – 8: Using the diagram on this website as a model, draw your own diagram of the inside of an ancient Egyptian pyramid: http://science.howstuffworks.com/engineering/structural/pyramid2.htm. There is also a short video on this site called “Exploring a Tomb” that gives viewers a real life glimpse inside an ancient Egyptian tomb.
Copyright March 9th, 2013 by Gwen Fredette