Week 6: Ben Franklin (1706 – 1790)
READ: K – 2: A Picture Book of Benjamin Franklin by David Adler
3 – 4: Meet Benjamin Franklin by Maggi Scarf
5 – 6: Benjamin Franklin by Victoria Sherrow
7 -8: The Amazing Mr. Franklin: Or the Boy Who Read Everything by Ruth Ashby
- Where did Ben Franklin live as a boy? (Boston, Massachusetts)
- When Ben was 12, he went to work for his older brother. What did his brother do? (printed a newspaper)
- Ben wrote secret articles for his brother’s newspaper. How did he sign them? (Mistress Silence Dogood)
- Why did he keep his identity secret? (he thought his brother would not publish them if he knew Ben had written them.)
- How did James feel when he found out? (he was angry and wouldn’t publish any more articles)
- Why did Ben leave Boston? (he and his brother didn’t get along)
- To what city did Ben move to? (Philadelphia)
- What newspaper did Ben start in Philly? (Pennsylvania Gazette)
- Name some of Ben’s most famous “wise sayings” (Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man health, wealthy, and wise. Haste makes waste.)
- What are some of Ben’s other accomplishments? (set up fire and police departments, started a lending library, started first hospital in America, postmaster, invented Franklin stove, bifocals (glasses), lightning rod, proved lightning is electricity, acted as a representative from Massachusetts to the colonies, acted as a representative from the colonies to England and France, helped write Declaration of Independence, worked at Constitutional Convention, spoke out against slavery)
K – 2: Take a white piece of paper and fold it in half; then fold it again. In each of the four sections, draw a picture of something Ben Franklin did.
3 – 4: Complete this crossword puzzle about Ben Franklin by clicking HERE.
5 – 6: Read the following pages of quotes by Ben Franklin from “Famous quotes and authors” website by clicking HERE. Copy 2 quotes that you like the most. Then, write a paragraph: of Ben’s 3 major occupations, writer, inventor, and representative, in which one do you think he was most helpful to society?
7 – 8: Read the following pages of quotes by Ben Franklin from “Famous quotes and authors” website by clicking HERE. Copy 2 quotes that you like the most. Then, write an essay: of Ben’s 3 major occupations, writer, inventor, and representative, in which one do you think he was most helpful to society?
Copyright May 25th, 2013 by Gwen Fredette