Week 8: George Washington (1732 – 1799)
READ: K – 3: President George Washington by David Adler
4 – 6: Meet George Washington by Joan Heilbroner
7 – 8: (Don’t Know Much About Series) George Washington by Kenneth C. Davis
- What tragedy happened when George was a boy? (his father died.)
- What was George’s first job? (surveyor)
- What was the first war George participated in as a soldier? (French & Indian war)
- T/F George Washington was a great soldier during the French & Indian war. (True)
- T/F George Washington never had slaves. (false)
- Why was George Washington chosen to lead the fight against the British? (Because he was a great soldier & hero during French & Indian war)
- Name some of the difficulties Washington had leading the American army? (not enough food, no money to pay men, not enough clothing or guns, men didn’t always follow orders, men not trained, British army often had more soldiers)
- T/F George Washington won the Revolutionary war with the help of the French. (true)
- Why didn’t George want to be king? (believed people should elect leaders)
- T/F George Washington was our country’s 2nd president. (False)
Questions for Grades 4 – 8:
- Describe the battle Washington won after crossing the Delaware. (German soldiers were hired by England. They were feasting on Christmas Day; Washington and his army surprised and defeated them.)
- Describe what happened at Valley Forge? (Many of his men died from cold, lack of food & clothing.)
K – 2: Go to this site at mountvernon.org by clicking HERE. This is a copy of a famous painting of George Washington crossing the Delaware. How do you think this picture is different from how it really happened? Discuss, print, and color the picture. Then, go to these two pages on enchantedlearning.com by clicking HERE and HERE. Color in the pictures of the dollar bill and quarter. Whose picture is on it?
3 – 4: Go to this site at mountvernon.org by clicking HERE. This is a copy of a famous painting of George Washington crossing the Delaware. How do you think this picture is different from how it really happened? Discuss, print, and color the picture. Then, complete this crossword puzzle about George Washington from gardenofpraise.com by clicking HERE.
5 – 6: Write a paragraph telling about at least three hardships George Washington faced.
7 – 8: Write a 5 paragraph three proof essay on what made George Washington a great leader.
Copyright June 8th, 2013 by Gwen Fredette