Week 16: Pompeii
READ: K – 5: Pompeii… Buried Alive! by Edith Kunhardt
6 – 7: Pompeii by Richard Platt
8: Bodies from the Ash by James Deem
- Where was Pompeii? (Italy)
- What volcano erupted onto this city? (Mt Vesuvius)
- Did people know it was going to erupt? (no)
- T/F Many people died in Pompeii. (T)
- What did the city become buried under? (ashes)
- What ancient writer wrote about the eruption? (Pliny)
- Describe the plaster casts scientists found? (shapes of people who had died)
- T/F Hundreds of years later a new city/town was built over the top of Pompeii. (T)
- Were people surprised to find that Pompeii was buried under their city? (Yes)
K – 2: Draw a picture of ancient Pompeii as Vesuvius erupted.
3 – 8: Write your own story of a family or shop keeper living in Pompeii during the eruption.
Copyright November 30th, 2013 by Gwen Fredette