Week 12: Great Literature: Aladdin
Read K – 4: The Tale of Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp by Eric Kimmel
5 – 6: Aladdin and the Enchanted Lamp by Marianna Mayer
7 – 8: One Thousand and One Arabian Nights by Geraldine McCaughrean (Chps 1 – 5; 23 – 26; 33 – 35)
- Describe Aladdin’s character at the beginning of the story? (clever, lazy, poor)
- Why did the magician claim to be Aladdin’s uncle? (wanted him to get him a lamp with a genie inside)
- How many genies are in the original Aladdin story? (2)
- What did each genie inhabit? (ring, & lamp)
- How did the genies help Aladdin and his mother? (gave them food)
- Who did Aladdin fall in love with? (Sultan’s daughter)
- How was he able to obtain her as his wife? (by asking the genie to provide him with rich gifts to give her father.)
- How did the wicked magician get back his lamp? (by telling the princess he’d trade new lamps for old)
- What did the magician do when he got the lamp? (wished for princess & her castle to be whisked away to his own native land)
- Describe how Aladdin & the princess outwitted the magician? (Aladdin used his magic ring to find the princess; the princess dined with the magician; she got him drunk/drugged him with a sleeping potion; she grabbed the lamp and wished for the castle and all within to be taken home.)
- If you’ve seen the Disney version of Aladdin, compare and contrast that version with this original story? (2 genies instead of one, flying carpet, different name of princess, etc.)
Questions for Grades 7 – 8:
- Explain how Shayryar came to distrust all women? (found his wife with another man)
- What did Shayryar do each night? (married another woman)
- What happened each morning? (she was killed)
- Why was the king’s advisor, the wazir, so worried? (had 2 beautiful daughters)
- Explain how his daughter, Shahrazad saved her own life and the lives of many women in the kingdom? (told a different story every night but always ended the story on a cliff-hanger; the sultan always wanted to know how the story would end so he always allowed her to live “one more day.”)
- What is probably the most famous story from 1001 Arabian Nights? (Aladdin)
- Why did the king finally agree not to have Shahrazad killed after 1001 nights? (he loved her; she loved him and was carrying his child)
- Of the stories you read in 1001 Arabian Nights, which did you like the best? Why? (answers will vary)
K – 3: Draw your own picture of a scene from Aladdin.
4 – 6: In paragraph form answer ONE of the following questions:
- Compare and contrast this story of Aladdin with the Disney version of Aladdin (if you’ve seen it)
- Do you think Aladdin deserved to marry the princess? Why or why not?
7 – 8: Write a 5 paragraph, 3 proof essay on ONE of the following topics:
- Your favorite story from 1001 Arabian Nights (which one and why)
- Shayryar didn’t deserve to be married to Shahrazad. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Shahrazad lied when she told Shahrazad she loved him? Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Shahrazad was a powerful woman. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Copyright September 4th, 2014 by Gwen Fredette