Week 6: Michelangelo
View K – 2: Watch this video about Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4mii56V2xA
- What did Michelangelo love to do? (sculpt)
- What unusual sculpture did he do after a snowstorm? (snow sculpture)
- What was probably the hardest thing he ever painted? (Sistine Chapel)
- Who did he do this work for? (the Pope)
Questions for grades 3 – 6:
- Where was Michelangelo from? (Florence, Italy)
- When Michelangelo was little he went to live with another family. What was that father’s job? (stonecutter)
- When Michelangelo was a teenager, he asked to become an artist’s apprentice. How did his father feel about it? (Didn’t like it; felt it was below him socially.)
- What rich family did Michelangelo move in with as a teenager? (Lorenzo Medici) Why? (recognized his talent)
- What did he do there? (educated there; wore fine clothes; ate with them like a son)
- How as Michelangelo able to study the human body? (went to a morgue and dissected human bodies)
- What was the Pieta? (Statue of Mary holding dead Jesus)
- Name some of his other famous works? (David, Ceiling of Sistine Chapel, Moses)
- Did Michelangelo marry? (no)
- Who did he do many of his paintings and sculptures for as an adult? (Popes, the church)
- What other hobby did he have besides doing artwork? (Poetry)
Questions for grades 7 – 8:
- What were some of the scenes depicted on the Sistine Chapel? (Creation, Bible scenes)
- Michelangelo worked as a painter, sculpture, and what? (an architect)
Activities: K – 2: The Pieta was another famous sculpture Michelangelo completed. Color in the Pieta from this coloring page: http://gardenofpraise.com/images/pieta3.jpg
OR Tape a sheet of paper to the underside of a coffee table. Give your students and some paints and have them try painting the “ceiling” of their “Sistine Chapel”.
3 – 5:
- Read this online biography of Michelangelo: http://gardenofpraise.com/art50.htm
- and then complete these worksheets that go with it: http://gardenofpraise.com/tests/test_michelangelo.pdf
6 – 8: Write an essay on one of the following:
- Many of the human figures Michelangelo sculpted or painted were in the nude, and many of these pieces were done for the church. Do you think this was appropriate? Why or Why not?
- Who do you think was the better artist, Michelangelo or Leonardo? Why? Why do you think these two men didn’t get along?
- Describe 3 of your favorite pieces created by Michelangelo and tell why you like them.
Copyright October 9th, 2015 by Gwen Fredette