Week 9: Martin Luther
Read K – 3: Read this brief biography of Martin Luther on this site: http://www.kidspast.com/world-history/0300-martin-luther.php
7 – 8: Luther DVD (2003)
Note for All: Luther is famous for beginning the “Reformation”, the reforming of the church. In response to his teaching, many people left the Catholic church and began new churches. They called themselves “Protestants” because they were protesting many of the Catholic church’s teachings.
- Why did Martin Luther promise God he would become a Monk? (nearly killed by lightning in a thunderstorm.)
- What were some of the ways the Catholic church taught that sins could be forgiven? (buying indulgences, looking at relics, etc.)
- What did Luther nail to the Wittenberg door? (95 theses: complaints against the Catholic church)
- How did everyone hear about Luther’s 95 theses? (Taken to a printing press and were printed for everyone to see)
- How did his theses affect the selling of indulgences? (church didn’t sell as many)
- What did the Catholic church call Luther? (a heretic)
- What often happened to people the church called heretics? (burned)
Questions for Grades 4 – 8:
- When first asked to recant his writings, what did Luther say? (May I have time to consider?)
- How did the church respond? (gave him 1 day)
- How did Luther reply the 2nd day? (Unless he could be proven his error through scripture or plain reason he could not recant.)
- How was Luther’s life saved? (Prince Frederick kidnapped him)
- What did Luther do while “kidnapped”? (wrote New Testament in German)
- Sadly arguments over the Reformation lead to what? (war; it was called the 30 Year War)
Questions for Grades 7 – 8:
- How did Luther’s father feel about him becoming a monk? (not happy)
- Was Martin Luther truly a Christian when he became a monk? (He didn’t understand the message of the gospel until after he became a Monk.)
- How did Martin Luther feel about going to Wittenberg at first? (didn’t want to go)
- How was his move to Wittenberg a great turning point in his life? (first time he ever read and understood the gospel: Ephesians 2:8 “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.”)
- What did Martin Luther do in Wittenberg? (studied scriptures, became professor of theology, preached in church)
- Was Martin Luther liked in Wittenberg? (yes; very popular)
- Who was Johann Tetzel? (Friar who became “Commissioner of Indulgences” for the Pope)
- What did the Pope want to use the money from these indulgences for? (To build St. Peter’s Basilica Church)
- What did Prince Frederick think of Luther? (loved him; prize professor)
- How did the Pope plan to “Erase Luther’s words from the memory of man”? (ordered all his books to be burned)
- Did Frederick agree to hand Luther over to the Pope? (no)
- Frederick was famous for his collections of … ? (relics)
- What did the Pope try to give Frederick in exchange for Luther? (a relic)
K – 3: This is a song written by Martin Luther. Listen to “A Mighty Fortress is Our God” on youtube by clicking HERE
4 – 6: Write a summary of Martin Luther’s life.
7 – 8: Choose one of the following essays:
- Discuss at least 3 ways Martin Luther brought religious change in Germany.
- Discuss three ways the Catholic church had become corrupt.
- Discuss three ways Prince (Duke) Frederick protected Martin Luther and what he preached.
Copyright October 31st, 2015 by Gwen Fredette