I’m thrilled to announce I’m hosting my third, annual, nation-wide Homeschool Art Contest! Click HERE for contest details.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Week 9: Cowboys
- What was a cowboy’s job? (to round up longhorn cattle and bring them many hundred miles to cities where they would be sold)
- Name some important clothes cowboys wore? Why were each important? (Stetson or 10 gallon hat – protected them from the sun and rain, bandana – pulled over mouth to keep out dust, gloves – protected cowboys hands from ropes, spurs- encouraged horse to move)
- What animal did a cowboy always need to help him round up cattle? (a horse)
- Why would a cowboy need to lasso a longhorn cattle? (if it strayed from the group or if it needed to be branded)
- What was branding? (when stamp or symbol was burned onto cattle to prove ownership)
- What food was common for cowboys to eat? (beans, coffee, bread)
- What was the most dangerous thing that could happen while rounding up cattle? (stampede)
- What was a stampede? (all cows are spooked into a panic and start charging at once)
- Once the cattle were brought where they needed to go, what was the first thing a cowboy usually did? (took a bath; they wore the same clothes for months)
- Cattle were eventually boarded onto what vehicle? (a train)
Questions for Grades 6 – 8:
- What was a “greenie”? (just off the boat, a person who doesn’t know America’s ways yet)
- Why was eating the cowboy food a problem for Zayda? (cooked in pig fat; Jews cannot eat pig meat)
- What made longhorns “tougher” than other cows? (could go days without water, fewer diseases, handled Texas heat well)
- Why did cowboys try to fatten the cattle on the ranch? ( would lose weight during the cattle drive)
- What was one of Zayda’s favorite food treats to eat? (ice-cream soda)
K – 3: Make a cattle brand using a potato, paint, and directions from this site: http://crafts.lovetoknow.com/cowboy-crafts-kids
4 – 5: Choose any activity to do from Wild West Days by David King.
6 – 8: Write an essay on the one of the following:
- Zayda often felt alone and was not close to most of the other cowboys. Why do you believe this was the case?
- Why did Zayda feel he had to leave Russia? Do you think he made the right decision?
- Of Zayda’s many experiences in coming to and living in America, what do you think would be the hardest? Why?
Copyright April 15th, 2016 by Gwen Fredette