Week 13: Great Literature – The Brothers Grimm
Read K – 2: Read the following short stories from An Illustrated Treasury of Grimm’s Fairy Tales (Illustrated by Daniela Drescher)
- The Princess and the Frog
3 – 4: Read the following short stories from An Illustrated Treasury of Grimm’s Fairy Tales (Illustrated by Daniela Drescher)
- The Princess and the Frog
- Sleeping Beauty
- Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs
5 – 8: Read the following:
- Who Were the Brothers Grimm? (Read this first)
- Cinderella: http://www.worldoftales.com/fairy_tales/Brothers_Grimm/Grimm_fairy_stories/Cinderella.html
- The Frog Prince: http://www.worldoftales.com/fairy_tales/Brothers_Grimm/Grimm_fairy_stories/The_Frog_Prince.html
- Briar Rose (Sleeping Beauty): http://www.worldoftales.com/fairy_tales/Brothers_Grimm/Grimm_fairy_stories/Briar_Rose.html
- Rumplestiltskin: http://www.worldoftales.com/fairy_tales/Brothers_Grimm/Grimm_fairy_stories/Rumpelstiltskin.html
- Snow White: http://www.worldoftales.com/fairy_tales/Brothers_Grimm/Grimm_fairy_stories/Little_Snow_White.html
- Rapunzel: http://www.worldoftales.com/fairy_tales/Brothers_Grimm/Grimm_fairy_stories/Rapunzel.html
Discuss: For EACH story you read, answer the following questions:
- Every story starts with a problem. What was the problem in this story? (answers will vary)
- How does the main character overcome his or her problem?
- Was there a happy ending at the end of this story? Why do you think the authors chose to end the story the way they did?
- Why do you think this is such a popular story?
- Did you like the story? Why or why not?
Questions for Grades 5 – 8:
- Why are the Brothers Grimm so famous? (compiled wonderful stories)
- What were the brothers’ names? (Jacob & Wilhelm)
- Were fairy tales written down before the brothers Grimm created their book(s)? (No, passed down orally)
- Why? (no one thought fairy tales were important enough to put into books)
- What country were the brothers born in? (Holy Roman Empire – German states)
- What tragedy occurred in the Grimm family while the boys were young? (father died suddenly)
- What professor greatly influenced the Grimm brothers? (Professor Savigny)
- Why were there suddenly strong French influences over the brothers’ German town? (Napoleon began conquering lands surrounding France)
- What hard times did the brothers go through as young adults? (under French rule, mother died; had to care for family; were both out of work, for a time only ate 1 meal a day, Wilhelm had health problems)
- How did the brothers find stories to put into their book? (by meeting with story tellers)
- What was the name of their book? (Children’s and Household Tales)
- Was their book successful? (yes, immediate success)
- Where did the brothers work together? (at a library)
- Name some of the other books published by the brothers. (More fairy tales, German legends, German grammar – which gave history of Germanic languages, German Mythology, German dictionary)
- How did the Grimms’ brother, Ludwig, contribute to their fairy tales? (illustrated them in later edition of their book)
- Why was Jacob forced to leave his university? (stood up to king, who was taking away people’s rights at the university)
- T/F The Grimm brothers lived together and stayed close friends most of their lives. (T)
K – 1: Draw your own pictures to go with one of the Brothers Grimm stories.
2 – 3: Draw your own pictures to go with your favorite Brothers Grimm story and tell in a short paragraph why it is your favorite.
4 – 5: Write a paragraph on the following: What lessons do you believe the “Frog Prince” was meant to teach children? How is the princess similar to teenagers today? How is she different?
6 – 8: Write an essay on one of the following:
- What lessons do you believe the “Frog Prince” was meant to teach children? How is the princess similar to teenagers today? How is she different?
- Overall, which fairy tales do you find more interesting/entertaining, those of Hans Christian Andersen, or the Brothers Grimm? Why?
- When the Brothers Grimm published their fairy tales, they were very popular, but some parents felt they were too violent. Discuss the violent aspects of the fairy tales you read, and how they differ from the same versions of the story you hear today.
Copyright December 11th, 2016 by Gwen Fredette