WEEK 17: REVOLUTIONARY WAR TEST
NOTE: Following is the Revolutionary War Test. 7th and 8th graders should be able to do all of this test. 4th through 6th graders should be able to do most of the test. K – 3rd graders will be able to do a lot of this test orally. Each question is worth 2 points. This test is OPTIONAL. Please feel free to skip it; scale it; eliminate parts of it; use it merely as a review, or do whatever best suits your family! If you choose to give your children this test, I would recommend reviewing the “Discussion Questions” from the last 16 weeks’ lesson plans the day before you give the test.
Following the test you will find a teachers’ answer key.
Name: _____________________________________________ Date: __________________________
Revolutionary War Test
Fill in the Blank:
1. 1.) Name the king of Great Britain during the Revolutionary War?
2. 2.) Who discovered lightning was a form of electricity?
3. 3.) In what city did the Continental Congress meet?
4. 4.) How many colonies were there during the Revolutionary War?
5.) Who was the first person to sign the Declaration of Independence?
6. 6.) Who is rumored to be the creator of the first American flag?
7. 7.) What was the name of Patrick Henry’s most famous speech?
8.) 8.) Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
9.) 9.) What continent did most slaves in America come from?
O 10.) On what day was the final version of the Declaration approved?
11 11.) Who was the Commander-in-Chief of the American armies during the Revolutionary War?
12. 12.) During the Revolutionary War, most African-Americans and Native Americans fought for the: (British or Americans?) _____________________________________
13. 13.) Who was the first president of the United States?
14. 14.) Who was the second president of the United States?
15. 15.) Which Native American group had the oldest democracy in America?
16. 16.) Just after the Revolutionary war laws were passed to set slaves free in what part of the colonies (North or South) ?
Circle the Correct Answer:
17. 17.) Why did John Hancock move in with his rich uncle as a boy?
- A.) He wanted to be rich
- B.) He didn’t get along with his father
- C.) His father died; mother was poor; uncle had no children.
- D.) His mother died.
18. 18.) What group was John Hancock elected president of?
- A.) The Singers of Liberty
- B.) The Continental Congress
- C.) The Boston Tea Party
- D.) The colony of Virginia
19. 19.) Which of the following is NOT one of Ben Franklin’s accomplishments?
- A.) He was a lawyer
- B.) He set up fire and police departments
- C.) Invented bifocal glasses
- D.) Acted as a representative from the colonies to France
20. 20.) Which of the following was NOT one of the jobs Paul Revere did?
- A.) Made false teeth
- B.) Engraved copper plates & printed pictures
- C.) Silversmith
- D.) Invented Bifocal Glasses
21. 21.) Paul Revere made an engraving of British soldiers firing upon innocent colonists in Massachusetts. This incident was called?
- A.) The Boston Tea Party
- B.) The Revolutionary War
- C.) The Boston Massacre
- D.) The New York Massacre
22. 22.) Which of the following was NOT a name the Patriots had for the British soldiers?
- A.) Bluecoats
- B.) Redcoats
- C.) Lobster backs
- D.) Bloody backs
23. 23.) This Act passed by the King said that colonists had to provide British soldiers with food, supplies, and give them places to live. What was it called?
- A.) The Stamp Act
- B.) Tea Tax
- C.) The Quartering Act
- D.) The Boycott Act
24. 24.) How did King George punish the colonists for the “Boston Tea Party?”
- A.) Sent 5000 new soldiers to Boston
- B.) He kept all ships from leaving Boston Harbor and prevented new ships from coming.
- C.) He told the colonists they must pay back the debt for the destroyed tea.
- D.) All of the Above.
25. 25.) Why did some people want to remain British citizens?
- A.) They liked Great Britain’s protection.
- B.) They liked trading with Great Britain.
- C.) Many people had relatives in Great Britain or went to school there.
- D.) All of the Above.
26. 26.) Name some of the difficulties Washington had leading the American army?
- A.) Not enough food
- B.) No money to pay men
- C.) Not enough clothing or guns
- D.) All of the Above
27. 27.) What Patriot General became a traitor?
- A.) Benedict Arnold
- B.) John Hancock
- C.) Samuel Adams
- D.) Burgoyne
28. 28.) Which of the following was NOT an area or city the British had control of during the Revolutionary war?
- A.) New York
- B.) Philadelphia
- C.) South Carolina
- D.) Valley Forge
29. 29.) Which of the following was NOT a way women helped support the Revolutionary War?
- A.) Some fought as soldiers
- B.) Some attended the Continental Congress
- C.) Some sewed blankets, uniforms, & flags
- D.) Some acted as spies or delivered important messages.
30. 30.) The last battle of the Revolutionary War was in what city?
- A.) Yorktown
- B.) New York
- C.) Paris
- D.) Philadelphia
31. 31.) The treaty the British signed with the Americans was called the:
- A.) Treaty of Britain
- B.) Treaty of France
- C.) Treaty of Paris
- D.) Treaty of Philadelphia
32. 32.) During the Revolutionary War, the Great Council made what decision?
- A.) They should fight for the British
- B.) They should not get involved in the war at all.
- C.) They should fight for the colonists.
- D.) None of the above.
33. 33.) Which of the following did NOT happen to the Iroquois confederacy?
- A.) Many decided to fight for the British.
- B.) Many of their homes and villages were destroyed.
- C.) Many died of hunger, cold, and disease.
- D.) Most were proud of George Washington.
Write “T” if the answer is true; Write “F” if the answer is false.
34. 34.) T/F John Hancock was one of the richest people in the colonies. ___________
35. 35.) T/F Hancock lived in Virginia. _____________
36. 36.) T/F Some loyalists and tax collectors were tarred and feathered. _________
37. 37.) T/F Many of the signers of the Declaration of Independence had slaves. _________
38. 38.) T/F King George was happy to take his troops out of the colonies and give Americans their own country. __________
39. 39.) T/F George Washington was a great soldier during the French & Indian war. __________
40. 40.) T/F George Washington never had slaves. _____________
41. 41.) T/F George Washington won the Revolutionary War with the help of the French. __________
42. 42.) T/F Battles between the British & Americans didn’t start until after the Declaration of Independence was signed. __________
43. 43.) T/F The decision to be independent or not divided many families. ___________
44. 44.) T/F Many women worked as nurses during the Revolutionary War. ____________
45. 45.) T/F During the Revolutionary War, women did not know how to use guns. _____________
46. 46.) T/F African-Americans were always slaves in the colonies. ___________
47. 47.) T/F Before the Revolutionary War there were only slaves in the Southern colonies. __________
48. 48.) T/F John Adams and Thomas Jefferson stayed close friends all of their lives. _________
49. 49.) T/F John Adams and Thomas Jefferson both died on the 4th of July. ____________
50. 50.) T/F Mom loves her kids and is very proud of them. ____________
What was the name of John Adams’ wife? __________________________
George Washington attacked what group of soldiers on Christmas? _____________________
What tea did the colonists drink to boycott British tea? ___________________________
What was the name of the Native American who defied the Great Council? ________________________________________
- 1. King George III
- 2. Ben Franklin
- 3. Philadelphia
- 4. 13
- 5. John Hancock
- 6. Betsy Ross
- 7. “Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death”
- 8. Thomas Jefferson
- 9. Africa
- 10. July 4th, 1776
- 11. George Washington
- 12. British
- 13. George Washington
- 14. John Adams
- 15. Iroquois
- 16. North
- 17. C
- 18. B
- 19. A
- 20. D
- 21. C
- 22. A
- 23. C
- 24. D
- 25. D
- 26. D
- 27. A
- 28. D
- 29. B
- 30. A
- 31. C
- 32. B
- 33. D
- 34. T
- 35. F
- 36. T
- 37. T
- 38. F
- 39. T
- 40. F
- 41. T
- 42. F
- 43. T
- 44. T
- 45. F
- 46. F
- 47. F
- 48. F
- 49. T
- 50. T
- Abigail Adams
- Dutch Tea
- Joseph Brant
Copyright August 12th, 2013 by Gwen Fredette